Sunday, April 28, 2013

System cannot log you on now as the domain is not available - Fix

Just wanted to document this some place where I could refer easily. Faced this issue when I was trying to log on to my  laptop provided at work. The error message was "The system cannot log you on now as the domain (domain name) is not available".

Since I did have the admin rights on the machine, I was able to regedit myself the next day after I consulted with a nice gentleman from the tech support team

Step1:
1. Start --> Run --> RegEdit and hit enter
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
3. Look for the key cachedlogonscount
4. Set the value to a 3 or a 5
5. Log off and log on while you are on the network for a couple of times to get the credentials cached

That is it. With your credentials cached, you would be able to log on to your system even while you are NOT connected to the network domain.

No comments: